Trainer / eLearning Specialist
eLearning is training designed for electronic delivery and may include text, video, and audio which must be accessible to all users. The best way to ensure an accessible end product is to consider the advantages and disadvantages of your training delivery method and tools.
HHS Custom Tabs for Microsoft Word
HHS Productivity Tab
The HHS Productivity Tab organizes the commands that help Word help you do better work faster. It just so happens that most of these commands also help you create accessible documents.
- HHS Productivity Tab for Word (ZIP archive, includes installation instructions)
HHS Reports Tab
The HHS Reports Tab optimizes Microsoft Word so that the tools people use when creating reports are easier to find. These tools can also help you create accessible reports.
- HHS Reports Tab for Word (ZIP archive, includes installation instructions)
Guidelines & Checklists for Accessible Documents
- eLearning Accessibility Checklist
- HHS eLearning Accessibility Guidelines
- Guidelines for Creating Accessible Training Using Captivate
Also review this brief guide on preparing for and delivering your presentation to an audience that includes people with disabilities.
What Makes eLearning Content Accessible?
Accessible eLearning provides equivalent access or equivalent alternative access to any user needing accommodations because of a disability. When training material is accessible, it is not only visible and usable by a user without a disability, but also perceivable by a user with
- visual impairments,
- hearing impairments,
- cognitive impairments, or
- mobility impairments.
Many users with disabilities use assistive technology to access electronic content, including eLearning content. The HHS Basic Accessibility Tutorial describes how people with different types of disabilities access electronic content.
Techniques to Make eLearning Content More Accessible
|Disability Type||Techniques to Make eLearning Content More Accessible|
eLearning Accessibility Reference Material
- Lectora Accessibility Guide provides information on structuring accessible eLearning within Lectora. This training is from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Adobe Captivate accessibility best practices website provides a list of specific accessibility techniques within Adobe Captivate.
Training on Accessible Documents
- HHS Web Accessibility Tutorial & Examples
- Creating Accessible Microsoft Office 2013 & 2016 Documents by the Texas Governor's Committee on People with Disabilities
Page Last Reviewed/Updated: June 20, 2017